When money is tight, we go straight to the pantry to see what we can pull together for dinner. This particular night, I found the fixings for a homemade Mexican-style Hamburger Helper.
1 box (16 oz) large sea shell pasta
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
2 TBS Taco Seasoning
1 large can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 large can (28 oz.) whole, peeled tomatoes in juice blended with an immersion blender or a regular blender
Shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese, optional
1. Cook pasta according to directions on box.
2. Brown ground beef, pepper, and onion in fry pan.
3. After beef is cooked, drain fat from the pan.
4. Add the taco seasonings, diced tomatoes, and blended whole, peeled tomatoes.
5. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes to combine flavors.
6. Combine with the cooked, drained pasta.
7. Serve with shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese.
P.S. - Please excuse my.... ummm.... errrr.... simplistic photo. My family agreed this recipe was a keeper after we had begun clean-up! I will update with a more pleasant photo next time we make this tasty dish!