Thursday, January 12, 2012

1 Peter 1.1-12 Bible Study

Print

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ!  In His great mercy He has given us new birth into a living hope throught the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade - kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time."

~ 1 Peter 1.3-5

One of the sections in this week's study focused on our blessings and resources that God provides for His children.  The exercise includes reading this verse aloud and then circling all the blessing and benefits, we as His children, enjoy.  What do you see listed in 1 Peter 3-5?

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

This simple activity made me stop and consider all that Jesus has done for me.  I usually do not meditate on the positive things in life; unfortunately - being a pessimist - I focus on the negative and hope for a positive outcome.  I'm not proud in admitting this, but it's just the way I see life after living through some very emotionally, tragic events.

Lesson 1 (1 Peter 1.1-12) is about preparing for opposition.  Just as our first-century sisters faced hostility for their faith, we do too.  I call it the "Gag Order."  Christians are not allowed to: (1) openly pray in our public schools or lead our high school football games in prayer, (2) post the Ten Commandments in our courts, or (3) set-up a Nativity scene at Christmas on city/county property because it "might upset others."  (I know the list can continue.)

So what does preparing for opposition look like?  It is focusing on who God is and what He has done for us.  Digging our spiritual roots deep into the word of God and knowing, without a doubt, He will always walk through the trials with us.  By securing our faith in Him now, it will not be shaken during the times of hardship, challenges, or even persecution.

If you are following along, what has God shown you this week? 


Kregel Publications has provided a complimentary copy of this study for my honest review over the next 8 weeks.

Link directly to  your post, so we may encourage each other in our daily walk with the Lord.


Blessings,

     Ellen

0 thoughts shared:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts with me! I look forward to getting to know you better.

If you do not wish to sign-in, please email me your comments and I will post them. Due to too many spam comments, I have chosen to close the comments to anonymous users. Thank you for understanding. ~ Ellen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...