I have never been a fan of Alfredo sauce until I happened upon this recipe. Not sure why, but this one is creamy and tasteful. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Makes 4 servings (1 1/2 cup each)
1/2 lb. fettuccine, uncooked
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 1/4 cup fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth
5 tsp all-purpose flour
4 oz. Neufchatel Cheese (1/3 less fat)
3 TBS grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1) Cook pasta as directed on package.
2) Meanwhile, heat large nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 5-7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally.
3) Remove chicken from skillet. Mix broth and flour in same skillet. Stir in Neufchatel cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens. Reduce heat.
4) Stir in chicken.
5) Drain pasta; place in large bowl. Pour chicken mixture over pasta; toss to coat.
6) Optional: Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and 2 TBS chopped fresh parsley before serving.
1) I love making this with grilled chicken breasts, but that is not an option during the winter. So, I slice the chicken breasts length-wise and cook it at 300 F in a sprayed electric fry pan. This adds flavor since they are browning at the same time. After the chicken is cooked, then I cut it into bite-sized pieces and add to the sauce. Also, the chicken remains moist this way!
2) My idea of a serving bowl is the pot I cooked the pasta in! I rinse out and dry the pasta pot, and then combine the Alfredo sauce with chicken and the pasta together. (Remember... I'm cooking for 3 teenagers and a husband!)
3) As a change of pace, I have been known to add steamed broccoli with the cooked chicken into the Alfredo sauce. Gotta get vegetables somehow!
4) For my family, I double the recipe. Maybe, just maybe, there will be leftovers!
* This recipe has been adapted from Kraft food and family, Fall 2008.
This recipe may be linked to:
Cookbook Sundays, Savory Sundays, Recipe of the Week, Hunk of Meat Monday, Makin' You Crave Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Mangia Mondays, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Monday Mania, Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesday Night Supper Club (2nd Tues of the month), Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth and Soul Hop, Tasty Tuesday Link Party, Made from Scratch Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, This Week's Cravings, Delicious Dishes, Foodie Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, What's On the Menu Wednesday, Made it on Monday, What's Cooking Wednesday, Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!, What's on Your Plate?, These Chicks Cook, Whisking Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Ultimate Recipe Swap, It's a Keeper, Slow Cooking Thursday, Twisted Thursday, Taste-tastic Thursday, Fun with Food Friday, Friday Favorites, Foodie Friday, Friday Potluck, I'm Lovin' It, Fusion Fridays, Foodie Friday, Sweets for a Saturday, Simply Delish Saturdays, Link and Greet Party