Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Unexpected time with God

Print
What does one do when they cannot sleep?  Read the Bible!  After a 3 day migraine, it finally broke... at midnight.  Then, I got a burst of energy and was wide awake.  No counting sheep was going to put this mind to sleep.

Throughout the day, God had placed the book of Ecclesiastes on my mind.  So, at 2 AM, I headed off the the kitchen and read Ecclesiastes in both the NASB and the NKJV.  (I eventually read it in NIV, The Message, ESV, and The New Living Translation.)  Then, I began a word search for "season."  In Ecc. 3.1 I read, "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven."  This spoke volumes to me.  I have heard people talk about the different seasons in their lives.... a busy, young mom, the empty nester, the retired person.  Here, God was telling me that He has preordained our very seasons of life.  Wow, what a revelation to me!

Throughout the book, the author states how meaningless life is apart from God - vanity and emptiness.  Yet, a meaningful meaning for my life is found only in a right relationship with God.

What a timely lesson God gave me!  With the Christmas season upon us, I tend to lose focus on God and Jesus and all the true meanings, and chase after the things of vanity, emptiness, and temporary fulfillment.

What has God been teaching you lately?

Ellen

Linked to Word Filled Wednesday

7 comments:

  1. I'm hosting a Rediscovering Christmas Bible Challenge if your interested: http://butterflywishesformygirls.blogspot.com/search/label/bible%20study

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! Isn't God good to place the exact Bible scripture upon our heart and mind that we need?!

    I'm glad your migraine is now gone. I suffer with these, they aren't very fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! I recently wrote a post about reading the Bible when you can't sleep!

    God is teaching me in this very difficult "season" that He is faithful - even when I can't always see it or feel it!

    Happy iFellowship Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! When I'm stuck with insomnia, I've found prayer to be a great way to "pass the time." I love that we can come to God at any time of the day or night and that He is waiting to speak to us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So blessed those migranes came to an end! And then God spoke to you in his word. BEAUTIFUL...

    Great word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good word! God has been teaching me a lot about what is means to be His child. 1 John 3:1

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really good. So often, I think the stillness of night or the wee hours of morning are perfect for connecting with God. He has also been nudging me to keep my focus on Him during this busy season.

    BTW, I'm excited to be your first follower! Feel free to visit my blog home if you're ever in the neighborhood. :) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts with me! I look forward to getting to know you better.

If you do not wish to sign-in, please email me your comments and I will post them. Due to too many spam comments, I have chosen to close the comments to anonymous users. Thank you for understanding. ~ Ellen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...