Thursday, September 30, 2010

Blast from the Past

Print
Homeschool Village Blast From The Past


Today The Homeschool Village's Thursday link up theme is Blast From the Past! We're sharing school photos and memories from our favorite teacher. The Village asks:

Who made a positive impression on you? Who's words have stuck with you all through the years? Have you carried over any of their traits into you own homeschool?
 
My favorite teacher was Senora Garcimonde.  She taught Spanish 4, 5, and 6 at South Plantation High School.  She had high expectations and I flourished with her.  I was the only non-native student in the class of only 6-8 students.  All the other students were from a latino background.  We were not allowed to use any English in her class; even the speeches we gave, were all in Spanish.  I came out of that class completely bilingual.
 
She also made it a lot of fun.  Since the school was in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, we had many opportunities to interact with the Spanish population in Miami.  We went to plays, operas, and movies completely in Spanish and enjoyed many lunches out with her.  The best memory... going into Miami for the Cinco de Maya festival!

I still have her recipe for Arroz con Pollo (rice with chicken)! 
 
My high school graduation photo...


Wow... my hair was really short then!

Happy homeschooling today!

 

4 comments:

  1. I had really short hair in High School too. I will have to dig for photos.

    I hope that you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my sister loved her Spanish teacher! What a great photo - love the smile!!

    thanks for sharing Ellen!!
    Stef

    the hsv

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool that you still have the recipe, she must really have made an impression. I remember the profile photos, I always wanted to have one taken like that! I never did though :( LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful, Ellen. Then and now! Have a wonderful weekend! Thanks for joining my FFF HOp today!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts with me! I look forward to getting to know you better.

If you do not wish to sign-in, please email me your comments and I will post them. Due to too many spam comments, I have chosen to close the comments to anonymous users. Thank you for understanding. ~ Ellen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...