Thursday, July 29, 2010

Fine Arts Curriculum.... (Did I miss something?!)

Print
The "Arts" have always been a struggle in our home school.  Out of 3 students, only 1 enjoys the "hands-on" approach to art. 

We have attempted Barry Stebbing's Feed My Sheep curriculum using his DVD's to enhance our learning.  Yet, for some inexplicable reason, we just never found the time to continue on a weekly basis.  I'm thinking it is the fault of the teacher and her scheduling!

With 1 teenage son into community theater, we see a lot of theatrical performances.  They may not be professionally done, but the plays open the family up to another aspect of Fine Arts.

We make time to go to art museums.  The Hunter Museum of Art is our local art destination.  Chatttanooga has a lot to offer us in "Fine Arts."  There are many brick, metal, and eclectic sculptors throughout the city. 

We also enjoy the Chattanooga Symphony and Orchestra who not only play in the theater but also free, open performances during the year including the 4th of July.  We have listened to Bach, Beethoven, Handel and others as we learn about them and the time periods in which they composed their music.

I guess, in a very relaxed atmosphere, we have learned about the "arts." 

This year 2 of my high schoolers will taking Art History with Christian World View at a local church.  This class will satisfy their Fine Arts credit for High School.  Per the instructor, "This class is more than art, more than history and more than worldview.  We will study cultures and the art they produced and discuss how it is relevant to us today.  Materials are based on college art texts and we will read Francis Scheaffer's How Shall We Then Live as well as C.S. Lewis's God in the Dock. Two field trips are planned and there will be a research paper project. This class is an unforgettable experience."

6 comments:

  1. The Art History with Chrstian World View sounds fascinating! I would love to hear more about it as your kids take the class - I'll be checking in throughout the year - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so lucky Chattanooga Symphony and Orchestra - I'd love to hear that! And free?!

    what a great class - I love Art History!!

    thanks for linking up today!
    stef
    the homeschool village

    ReplyDelete
  3. that class really does sound interesting...wish I could take it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've done a great job of getting in the arts in a laid-back way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you linked up with Hip Homeschool Moms/Hop I am excited to get to know you better!

    Meghan
    www.facebook.com/hiphomeschoolmoms
    www.twitter.com/hiphmschoolmoms
    www.thetuckerstaketennessee.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I come from The Hip homeschool Hop. We love watching NCIS here too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts with me! I look forward to getting to know you better.

If you do not wish to sign-in, please email me your comments and I will post them. Due to too many spam comments, I have chosen to close the comments to anonymous users. Thank you for understanding. ~ Ellen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...