This is one of my family's favorite fresh salads for summer.
It doesn't hurt that it contains BACON, either!
Anytime my husband's office has a potluck/picnic, this is what he offers to bring.
It is easy to set-up ahead of time and then combine it fresh for all to enjoy.
8 cups fresh broccoli florets (give or take!)
2 cups mayonnaise
4 TBS cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 lb. cooked, crisp bacon
1/2 cup red onion
1) Cut broccoli florets. Rinse and drain well.
2) Cook bacon until crisp and place on paper towels. Once cool, crumble the bacon.
3) Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, bacon, and onion well. Add the broccoli and mix well.
4) Chill in the refrigerator for an hour to combine the flavors.
To prepare in advance:
1) Cut the broccoli florets and place in ziplock bag or container. Cook and crumble the bacon and place in a separate container / bag. Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar and put in its own container. Dice the onions and store in a separate bag.
2) About an hour before serving, combine ALL ingredients well and return to refrigerator.
3) Serve and enjoy!
As you can tell from my photo, I did not use a red onion. For this batch, I used a Vidalia onion which I had on hand. The salad was still terrific!
Play with your vegetables! I have combined broccoli and cauliflower to make this. Also, fresh peas and/or finely sliced carrots are a great addition! Oh, don't forget snow peas!
This recipe may be linked to THESE terrific food blogs.
Cook Family Recipe Book, Chef Ellen