Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Bridge... a book review

Print
The Bridge

ISBN-13: 9781451647013
Available: October 2012

Book description:

Molly Allen lives alone in Portland, but her heart is back in Franklin, Tennessee, where five years ago she walked away from a man she cannot forget, a rare sort of love she hasn’t found since.

Ryan Kelly lives in Franklin and spends plenty of time at The Bridge—the oldest bookstore in historic downtown Franklin—remembering the long hours he and Kelly once spent there.

Now, Ryan and Molly’s favorite bookstore is in trouble. For thirty years, Charlie and Donna Barton have run The Bridge, providing the people of middle Tennessee with coffee, conversation, and shelves of good books—even through dismal book sales and the rise of eBooks. Then in May a flood tore through Franklin and destroyed nearly every book in the store. By Christmastime, the bank threatens to pull the lease on The Bridge and is about to take the Bartons’ house as well. Despondent, Charlie considers ending his life. And in the face of tragedy, miracles begin to unfold.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

How often do we consider how our actions affect those around us?  Do I see my profession as making a difference in other people's lives?  When asked what I do, my response is usually "I'm just a mom."  But where does my sphere of influence really reach?

In The Bridge from Karen Kingsbury, we meet Charlie - the bookseller.  Through his love of books, he and his wife sacrifice to make his dream a reality.  In the good times and the bad, he always has a word of wisdom or a book recommendation for a hurting customer. 

Again I ask, how do I see to the needs of others without thought to myself or my bottom line?  Karen Kingsbury has crafted another wonderful thought-provoking novel.  Her characters and storyline will stay with you long after you finish the last page.

I received a complimentaray Advanced Review Copy from Howard Books for my honest review.


Blessings,

     Ellen

4 comments:

  1. I love her books! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too like her books! Will have to check this one out!

    wow, I just saw on your side bar you read the Bible in 90 days, what an accomplishment! Making it through every 13-14 months is about the best I can do :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty! I linked up with other bloggers to complete the Bible in 90 days through momstoolbox.com . It kept me on track since we checked in each week and had to post where we were. Talk about accountability!

      Delete
  3. Love her books. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts with me! I look forward to getting to know you better.

If you do not wish to sign-in, please email me your comments and I will post them. Due to too many spam comments, I have chosen to close the comments to anonymous users. Thank you for understanding. ~ Ellen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...