Saturday, March 10, 2012

1 Peter 5 Bible Study

Print

As this 1 Peter: Finding Encouragement in Troubling Times comes to a close, I am amazed at what God is showing me, both personally and for my immediate and church families.

In 1 Peter 5, Peter is calling to the elders, wiser older men, in the faith community to step up as leaders to their local church body.  He is reminding the elders of their responsibilities and characteristics of good leadership.  Elders provide supervision, protection, discipline, instruction and direction to other believers.  How they carry out these responsibilities is just as important.

In 1 Peter 5.2-4 states, "Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers - not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve, not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.  And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away."

Are your church leaders following these instructions?  I have been in two churches that the senior pastor did not adhere to these seemingly simple directions.  One of the churches split apart.  The other one was then ruled by elders who felt control was the answer to the problems.  This only served as a catalyst for people to leave the church as the elders would not truly listen to the wisdom of those around them.

I believe there is no simple solution to problems in the church.  Churches are not perfect and neither are its members.  But what I see in the Bible is that we are to listen to each other and learn from each other.  By seeking godly counsel, churches can heal and have a deeper impact on its members and to the local community.

Have you ever walked through a serious disagreement in your church?  How has godly leadership brought peace and healing to those involved?

This study has reminded me that I will endure hardships and trials in this life.  BUT, I will never be alone.  God will walk through these with me and teach me in the storms of His love, grace, and mercy.

On the study itself... I prefer Inductive Bible Studies over other styles since I am learning directly from scripture.  I want to hear God speaking to me, not an author telling me what it means.  I learned a lot and enjoyed being in God's Word daily.  The only negative I found was not have a small group to discuss what we learned and how God is working in each of our lives.

Thank you to Kregel Publications for the complimentary copy of this study and to Sue Edwards for sharing yourself with us as we walked through 1 Peter together.


Blessings,

     Ellen

2 comments:

  1. Great post Ellen. I think honestly, if we as church body spent more time on our knees praying for our church as a whole, Pastor's, staff, deacons, overseerers and etc. than we do finding something to complain about things would be different. I'm currently teaching a verse by verse study on the armor of God called, "Your Strong Suit" by Donna Pyle and this week I will talk a little about Armor-Bearer. Well as I was digging in the Word and doing a little research I found it very interesting to see that if we as faithful members and servants of God & would look at ourselves being an Armor Bearing to those within leadership in our church then Satan would have a hard time cracking the walls! I personally feel it goes back to God's Word as always...We MUST be willing to be servants as well as leaders...we MUST have an attitude of honoring others more than ourselves and We must look at our lives through a Kingdom perspective. And oh yes, churches can heal only if we as a church allows God to heal us...Been through discord in the church and it is a sad place to be! I can remember my husband saying, We will be part of the solution and not the problem! But oh if Satan had of had his way we could have so easily walked away...Pesonally, I had to seek God's healing for my spiritual life...but I also had to go to Him for forgiveness! For my thoughts that I had for some, and even my own sin of not praying as I knew I should had for our church as a whole. Praise the Lord that time has past me now. We have grown stronger in the Lord as a church family and a family in general. What Satan intended for harm God took and made it good! Thanks for this post today. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The church is made up of people. What a joy it is when those people respect the elders and the elders lead as they are supposed to do. I've been in churches where there have been problems. It's always sad. The Bible says we should pray for our leaders. We need to do that and search our own hearts and make sure we are not part of the problem, but part of the solution.
    Thank you for sharing on Spiritual Sundays.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts with me! I look forward to getting to know you better.

If you do not wish to sign-in, please email me your comments and I will post them. Due to too many spam comments, I have chosen to close the comments to anonymous users. Thank you for understanding. ~ Ellen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...