Craving something different, I went searching through my pantry to satisfy my desire. I found Zatarain's New Orleans Style Dirty Rice Mix. Hmm, I had boneless chicken thawing. Could these two items be joined to make something with zing?
1 lb. boneless chicken
Pam non-stick spray or olive oil
Cayenne ground red pepper
2 1/2 cups water
2 TBS oil (optional)
diced red and green bell peppers (optional)
Zatarain's Dirty Rice Mix
1) Spray fry pan with Pam or lightly coat with olive oil.
2) Cut-up boneless chicken into bite-size pieces.
3) Cook chicken on medium-high heat. Season with Cajun seasoning and Cayenne ground red pepper as it is cooking. Add in diced bell pepper. (I used frozen bell peppers from my summer garden!)
4) While chicken is cooking, combine water and oil in a 2 1/2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil.
5) Add Dirty Rice Mix, meat, and bell peppers to the boiling water. Return mixture to a boil.
6) Add more Cajun seasoning and Cayenne ground red pepper to taste.
7) Reduce heat, stir, cover, and simmer over low heat for 25 minutes.
8) Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff and serve.
Note: We like our food spicy, but apparently I went a bit heavy-handed the first time I made this! Great served with a side vegetable and a crisp, green salad.
Recipe from Cook's Family Cookbook / Ellen, author and chef.
This recipe may be linked to:
Cookbook Sundays, Savory Sundays, Recipe of the Week, Hunk of Meat Monday, Makin' You Crave Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Mangia Mondays, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Monday Mania, Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesday Night Supper Club (2nd Tues of the month), Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth and Soul Hop, Tasty Tuesday Link Party, Made from Scratch Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, This Week's Cravings, Delicious Dishes, Foodie Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, What's On the Menu Wednesday, Made it on Monday, What's Cooking Wednesday, Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!, What's on Your Plate?, These Chicks Cook, Whisking Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Ultimate Recipe Swap, It's a Keeper, Slow Cooking Thursday, Twisted Thursday, Taste-tastic Thursday, Fun with Food Friday, Friday Favorites, Foodie Friday, Friday Potluck, I'm Lovin' It, Fusion Fridays, Foodie Friday, Sweets for a Saturday, Simply Delish Saturdays