Saturday, December 17, 2011

New Orlean's Dirty Rice and Chicken

Print

Craving something different, I went searching through my pantry to satisfy my desire.  I found Zatarain's New Orleans Style Dirty Rice Mix.  Hmm, I had boneless chicken thawing.  Could these two items be joined to make something with zing?

YES!


Ingredients:

1 lb. boneless chicken
Pam non-stick spray or olive oil
Cajun seasoning
Cayenne ground red pepper
2 1/2 cups water
2 TBS oil (optional)
diced red and green bell peppers (optional)
Zatarain's Dirty Rice Mix


Directions:

1)  Spray fry pan with Pam or lightly coat with olive oil.

2)  Cut-up boneless chicken into bite-size pieces.

3)  Cook chicken on medium-high heat.  Season with Cajun seasoning and Cayenne ground red pepper as it is cooking.  Add in diced bell pepper.  (I used frozen bell peppers from my summer garden!)

4)  While chicken is cooking, combine water and oil in a 2 1/2-quart saucepan.  Bring to a boil.

5)  Add Dirty Rice Mix, meat, and bell peppers to the boiling water.  Return mixture to a boil.

6)  Add more Cajun seasoning and Cayenne ground red pepper to taste.

7)  Reduce heat, stir, cover, and simmer over low heat for 25 minutes.

8)  Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.  Fluff and serve.

9)  Enjoy!

Note:  We like our food spicy, but apparently I went a bit heavy-handed the first time I made this!  Great served with a side vegetable and a crisp, green salad.

Recipe from Cook's Family Cookbook / Ellen, author and chef.

Blessings,

     Ellen
This recipe may be linked to:
Cookbook Sundays, Savory Sundays, Recipe of the Week, Hunk of Meat Monday, Makin' You Crave Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Mangia Mondays, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Monday Mania, Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesday Night Supper Club (2nd Tues of the month), Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth and Soul Hop, Tasty Tuesday Link Party, Made from Scratch Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, This Week's Cravings, Delicious Dishes, Foodie Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, What's On the Menu Wednesday, Made it on Monday, What's Cooking Wednesday, Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!, What's on Your Plate?, These Chicks Cook, Whisking Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Ultimate Recipe Swap, It's a Keeper, Slow Cooking Thursday, Twisted Thursday, Taste-tastic Thursday, Fun with Food Friday, Friday Favorites, Foodie Friday, Friday Potluck, I'm Lovin' It, Fusion Fridays, Foodie Friday, Sweets for a Saturday, Simply Delish Saturdays

8 comments:

  1. Looks great for a quick and easy mid-week fix. Thanks for sharing with Cookbook Sundays :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dirty rice but I always use chicken livers when I make it.
    Nevertheless this is a good recipe you have, I've never used the Zatarains product.
    Hope you all have a big happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up to It's a Keeper! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ellen,
    We just love Dirty Rice and this recipe for Dirty Rice and Chicken looks awesome! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. I am wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! It's late at night and I'm hungry again. My mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your recipe sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for providing these details within your website.
    My homepage ... Disc Springs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts with me! I look forward to getting to know you better.

If you do not wish to sign-in, please email me your comments and I will post them. Due to too many spam comments, I have chosen to close the comments to anonymous users. Thank you for understanding. ~ Ellen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...