Sunday, November 6, 2011

Yankee Pot Roast

Print

Growing up, this was one of those recipes I looked forward to Mom making! 
The house smelled wonderful and I knew we were always in for a treat. 
Why don't you pull up a pot and give it a whirl?!?!


Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours 30 minutes

Ingredients:

3 1/2 - 4 lb. beef roast
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp oil
1 cup water
1 Bay leaf
8-10 small, whole onions
8 small carrots, cut in half
16 oz. tomato sauce with tomato bits

Directions:

1)  Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.  Brown in hot oil in Dutch oven.

2)  Add 1/2 cup water and bay leaf.  Simmer 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender; remove fat.

3)  Add vegetables and rest of water; pour on tomato sauce.  Simmer, covered, 1 hour.

4)  Enjoy!

Note:  I use a jar of pearl onions and sometimes add small new or red potatoes and celery with carrots.  If I don't use potatoes, I will serve pot roast with mashed potatoes and a cucumber and onion salad.

Blessings,

     Ellen


This recipe may be linked to:

Cookbook Sundays(first Sunday of the month), Savory Sundays, Hunk of Meat Monday, Makin' You Crave Monday, Recipe Sharing Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Mangia Mondays, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Monday Mania, Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesday Night Supper Club (2nd Tues of the month), Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Hearth and Soul Hop, Tasty Tuesday Link Party, This Week's Cravings, Delicious Dishes, Foodie Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, What's On the Menu Wednesday, Made it on Monday, What's Cooking Wednesday, Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!, What's on Your Plate?, These Chicks Cook, Whisking Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Ultimate Recipe Swap, It's a Keeper, Slow Cooking Thursday, Twisted Thursday, Taste-tastic Thursday, Fun with Food Friday, Fat Camp Friday, Friday Favorites, Foodie Friday, Friday Potluck, I'm Lovin' It, Sweets for a Saturday, Simply Delish Saturdays, Made from Scratch Tuesday

27 comments:

  1. I love Yankee Pot Roast!! Great recipe!!
    Thanks for following my blog, now following you back!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, this sounds delish! I'm going to have to try this recipe. Thanks for posting it. My name is Sarah, I found your blog through the Follow Us Monday Morning hop and am now a follower via GFC and Twitter. Be sure to stop by and I'd love for you to follow back. Thanks and have an awesome Monday:)

    http://skylarinc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you can ever go wrong with pot roast! :-) Great recipe! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good. It is a little different than how I make mine, so I will have to give it a try.
    Blessings,
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great. I haven't made a traditional roast in several years. This might be the next recipe I try for roast. Thanks for linking up to Hunk of Meat Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so cold and rainy outside right now and this looks like it would be SO GOOD to curl up with by the fire. Stopping by from Tasty Tuesday, everything on here looks so delicious! And I'm currently studying your coupon tactics, I've been wanting to start doing that for a while. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The weather is certainly Pot Roast weather at my house. Your recipe looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ellen! I am visiting from the Tuesday Blog Trail. Pot Roast is a great go-to meal & your recipe looks delicious. I am looking forward to your posts as I am a new GFC follower. When you get a chance stop by http://inkelleyskitchen.blogspot.com for recipes, cooking, entertaining, food storage ideas & more! Have a terrific Tuesday!

    ~Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks great!

    New Follower from Tiggerific Tuesday. Hoping you will follow back! =0)
    My Crazy Life

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds perfect for a Sunday dinner...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One thing that I greatly miss is Sunday dinner at grandmas. It was always roast and oh so good!
    She died shortly after the birth of my 3rd child, who is now 20 years old. Over the years I've tried to carry on the tradition several times but I just don't have the stamina she had. Actually it's the changing of the times with the internet and such.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love some right now. I love meat roast like that.
    From Wed Wild Hop, new GFC follower. Please swing by when you have time and follow us back. Thanks. Thursday Two Questions Meme

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't made this in forever! It just turned colder today, so this is perfect timing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Newly following from What's Cooking Wednesdays!

    Pot Roast has always spelled comfort food in my book and yours looks delicious! I love using the little pearl onions in soups and stews too.

    This may just have given me the answer to that age-old question we all ask ourselves... "What will I make for dinner tonight?" Thanks so much for sharing!

    ~Mrs B

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is always a favorite meal at our house. Yours looks wonderful. Come visit. We have a terrific pumpkin cheesecake to share.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the follow! I am following you as well. I hope you enjoy the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ellen
    I haven't made a pot roast in ages-your recipe looks delicious. Perfect for Fall!
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing this wonderful pot roast with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, just found your blog on "What's Cooking Wednesday" and am now a new follower!

    I also have a blog with my recipes and would love for you to check it out and follow back :)

    Krista
    http://www.the-not-so-desperate-chef-wife.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Ellen,
    I am sure ready for a good Pot Roast and yours looks so good. Thank you so much for sharing your fabulous recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and please come back soon.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pot roast looks delicious, thanks for sharing with hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have not had a pot roast like this in years, thanks for the reminder. And thanks for sharing with Cookbook Sundays November 2011! Please come again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Isn't pot roast the best? I need to make one soon. It's been too long since we've had a pot roast dinner in the Just One Donna kitchen. Thanks for following...

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks so good! When I was pregnant with my first, I craved my mother-in-law's roast so badly!!

    Thank you for linking up at Twisted Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love it when winter comes around and i can make all these great stick to the ribs meals. pot roast is one of my favorites too! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts with me! I look forward to getting to know you better.

If you do not wish to sign-in, please email me your comments and I will post them. Due to too many spam comments, I have chosen to close the comments to anonymous users. Thank you for understanding. ~ Ellen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...