1-2 Tbs olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 1/2 tsp minced garlic
5 - 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
1 - 12 oz can tomato paste
1 cup water, to preferred consistency
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs parsley flakes
1 1/2 Tbs basil
1/2 Tbs oregano
3/4 -1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1) In large skillet, heat olive oil and cook onion and garlic until softened.
2) While onions and garlic are cooking, place all remaining ingredients in crock pot.
3) Add onion and garlic to the crock pot and mix well.
4) Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
If you would like to make a meat sauce, brown 2 pounds lean ground beef with the onions and continue as above. We enjoy Italian sausage, so I'll add 1 pound Italian sausage and 1 pound lean ground beef. When adding meat to the sauce, drain the fat using a slotted spoon.
If freezing the sauce, let it cool first, then divide it into two 1-gallon freezer bags. While closing the bags, lay them down and force the air out as you close the bag. Lay the sealed bags on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer. After they are frozen, remove the cookie sheet.
* This recipe has been modified from www.lifeasmom.com 's Easy Crockpot Red Sauce.