Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Today in US History

Print
December 22...

1864  Union general William T. Sherman sends a message to President Abraham Lincoln from Georgia: "I beg to present you as a Christmas gift the city of Savannah."

1882  Edward Johnson, an associate of Thomas Edison, displays the first electric Christmas tree lights in his home in New Yourk City.

1894  The U.S. Golf Association is formed in New York City.

1941  Winston Churchill arrives in Washington for wartime meetings with President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

1944  During the Battle of the Bulge, General Anthony McAuliffe replies, "Nuts!" to a German demand for surrender.


Ellen

0 thoughts shared:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts with me! I look forward to getting to know you better.

If you do not wish to sign-in, please email me your comments and I will post them. Due to too many spam comments, I have chosen to close the comments to anonymous users. Thank you for understanding. ~ Ellen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...