Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Serve God, not money. Luke 16

Print

We are over half-way through Luke.  God is showing me areas in which I need work guidance.  How about you?

Scripture:
Luke 16.13   "No servant can serve two masters.  Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other.  You cannot serve both God and Money."  ~  Jesus

Observation:
Make a choice: serve God OR money, but not both.

Application:
It is so easy to think I am serving God, only to find out I'm serving money.  Per my study Bible, these questions are posed to see if  you are a slave to money: (1) Do you think and worry about about it frequently?  yes  (2) Do you give up doing what you should do or would like to do in order to make more money? no  (3) Do you spend a great deal of  your time caring for your possessions? no  (4) Is it hard for you to give money away? sometimes  (5) Are you in debt? not anymore

Wealth promises power and control, but not health, happiness, or eternal life.  In general, people who serve their money are not content with what they do have; whereas, true servants of God have peace of mind and security, both now and eternal.

Prayer:
Dear God... I can find a lot of excuses for worrying about money and our (at times) lack thereof.  But You have told me not to worry; You will supply all my needs and this includes our finances.  Help me to seek Your guidance in our finances and follow Your lead.  Amen

This is such a timely message for me with Christmas just 4 days away.  No one in my family truly needs more stuff, but I want to tangibly show my family how much I love them.

Blessings,

     Ellen

3 comments:

  1. I might be concerned about money since my income is fixed and limited, but never worry.

    Often our balance is quite low but we give generously to our church. We sent $200.00 to an ols fiend of my wife's and it came back to us.

    We have a lot of debt and try to whittle it down and we will.

    Charity (love of God via helping others) is good for the giver.

    Wishing you a very Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anthony... love reading your comments. Thanks for gently reminding me that charity is a large part of our Christian walk.

    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serving God should be our purpose, our reason for living!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts with me! I look forward to getting to know you better.

If you do not wish to sign-in, please email me your comments and I will post them. Due to too many spam comments, I have chosen to close the comments to anonymous users. Thank you for understanding. ~ Ellen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...