Sunday, May 22, 2011

Desert gift... a book review

Print
Desert Gift, Side Roads Series #2   -     
        By: Sally John
Him: a well -respected podiatrist. 
Her: an up-and-coming Christian writer and speaker on marriage. 
Together: a marriage tumbling out of control.

In Desert gift, Sally John introduces us to Jack, the doctor, and Jill, the motivational speaker.  Throughout their 24 years of marriage, Jill has been honing her gift of communication.  She has been studying marriages and relationships, interviewing experts in this field, and speaking on the topic on radio, at women's conferences and Sunday school.  Now - just as her first book tour is about to begin - Jack informs her that he wishes a divorce!

Sally John has brought a difficult topic to the table.  How many Christian marriages end because of non-communication or miscommunication?  As we watch Jill unpack the many truths about her own shortcomings, we can take a few steps back and examine our own hearts.  Through the introduction of different characters, Jill is finally able to admit her faults/sins, seek God on a truly intimate level, and ask His forgiveness.  All the while, Jack is realizing that his life is not all that he thought is was.

I enjoyed Desert gift and the chance it gave me to examine my own heart and motives.  I could relate to the characters and the difficulties they found themselves in.  I did have a hard time with the names chosen, Jack and Jill.  I feel the author could have chosen more appropriate names for the main characters.  Sally John did play on the nursery rhyme throughout the book.

Click HERE to read an excerpt from Desert gift!

Star rating: 4 out of 5

I received a complimentary copy of Desert gift from Tyndale House Publishers for my honest review.


    

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your review! I've received a review copy of this book, but I haven't started reading it yet. I'm looking forward to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting read.

    KB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the review. I sure would like to read this...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts with me! I look forward to getting to know you better.

If you do not wish to sign-in, please email me your comments and I will post them. Due to too many spam comments, I have chosen to close the comments to anonymous users. Thank you for understanding. ~ Ellen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...